U21 NATIONAL SQUAD
The U21 national squad is the tier below the Scottish Thistles, with many of the 21s training within the Scottish Thistles squad. The squad train weekly with additional competition opportunities through the season as the team progress towards the annual Netball Europe Under 21 Championships.
Previous results at Netball Europe:
Scotland’s Under 21 team, affectionately referred to as our #FutureThistles, have returned home from the Netball Europe Championships in Antrim, Northern Ireland with a Silver medal in their grasp. All 12 athletes took to the court in their Scotland kit over the weekend, securing wins against both Wales and Northern Ireland. The team was led by first time Captain, Sarah MacPhail, who said:
“We knew that if we trusted in our processes, and trusted in each other, we would be able to put out winning performances and that is what we did. Knowing now that things we have been doing in training work well on the court is a huge confidence boost for the team.”
Not only was this Sarah’s first time in the Captain role, but the Scotland team also saw 1st International caps won by players Molly Cooper and Gillian Thomson. Furthermore, our Lead Coach Rachel Cremin now has her first International competition under her belt. Rachel expressed her delight with her players and support team:
“This team, and the team behind the team, have smashed each performance. So incredibly delighted to top off this experience with 2 wins and a silver medal.”
From all of us at Netball Scotland, congratulations to Rachel, Gillian Crozier, Lesley MacDonald, Elena Morris, Bruce Mutch and Simon Lovelock on a successful Championships campaign, we very much look forward to the next chapter in the development of these athletes.
Netball Scotland are excited to announce the athletes successfully selected to represent Scotland at the upcoming Under 21 Netball Europe Championships. This event will be hosted in Antrim, Northern Ireland across 5th – 7th October. For those avid supporters travelling to Northern Ireland to support our girls, you can purchase your tickets here. For those who will be #BackingPurple from Scotland, we encourage you to follow the official Netball Europe social media channels for all match updates. To check out the event schedule, click here.
Following our recent Under 21 National Selection weekend, we are now delighted to reveal the 24 athletes selected for this year’s long squad. The following athletes will join forces with our outstanding Management Team, and work tirelessly over the coming months to earn their spot in the Under 21 Scotland team that will travel to Belfast, Northern Ireland, for the Under 21 Netball Europe Championships in October 2018.
Congratulations to all athletes, and our Management, on their selection and appointment #SucceedAsATeam
|Abbie Acheson||Edinburgh Netball Club|
|Savannah Antoine||Clyde Netball Club|
|Emma Barrie||Scotstoun Netball Club|
|Erin Bolland||Scotstoun Netball Club|
|Shona Campbell||Angus District|
|Rachel Conway||Holyrood Netball Club|
|Molly Cooper||Newcastle University Netball Club|
|Dionne Dorricott||Scotstoun Netball Club|
|Anna Edvaldsson||Glasgow South Saltires Netball Club|
|Scotstoun Netball Club
|Hannah Grant||Edinburgh University Netball Club|
|Kate Hill||Grangetown Netball Club|
|Emma Love||Glasgow South Saltires Netball Club|
|Catriona MacDonald||Scotstoun Netball Club|
|Sarah MacPhail||Glasgow South Saltires Netball Club|
|Niamh McCall||East Kilbride Netball Club|
|Rebecca Metcalfe||Edinburgh University Netball Club|
|Emma Mitchell||Clyde Netball Club|
|Robyn Morrison||Scotstoun Netball Club|
|Ella Murray||Westhill Netball Club|
|Catriona Norval||Scotstoun Netball Club|
|Ellecia Queen||Glasgow University Netball Club|
|Anna Sherry||G84 Junior Netball Club|
|Gillian Thomson||Scotstoun Netball Club|
Under 21 Management Team:
Lead Coach – Rachel Cremin
Assistant Coach – Gillian Crozier
Technical Support Coach – Lesley MacDonald
Team Manager – Elena Morris
Physio – Bruce Mutch
The International Netball Federation’s flagship Youth Event, Netball World Youth Cup 2017, took take place in Gaborone, Botswana from 8 – 16 July.
The Scotland team qualified in October 2016 having beaten both NNI and Wales to finish 2nd from the region which was crucial for the World Cup draw.
|Final position 8th in World|
All matches can be seen on the official world cup channel – CLICK HERE
Head Coach – Lesley MacDonald
Assistant Coach – Claire Brownie
Support Coach – Rachel Cremin
Team Manager – Elena Morris
Whilst the selection process for the 2017/18 has now concluded, if you wish to find out further information on our selection process, player eligibility or the nomination for selection process, you can contact our Pathways Development Manager, Lesley MacDonald, via Lesley.MacDonald@netballscotland.com
- Age eligibility, U21 as at midnight on 31stDecember 2017
- You must have playing experience, knowledge and skill level suitable for competing at this level.
- Your base level of fitness must be appropriate to enable you to follow the demands of the programme as detailed below.
- If selected to the squad you will be expected to contribute towards the training and competition programme details will be advised in due course but will not be more than £150 towards the training and competition programme or £150 towards U21 Netball Europe 2018.
- You will be expected to take part in squad fund raising ventures to go towards the cost of the U21 programme (amount TBC.)
Commitment and expectations of athletes applying to be a member of the Scotland U21 Long squad:
- Aspire to represent Scotland at National level
- Willing and able to be a role model for netball in Scotland
- Have the capacity and desire to commit to an intensive training programme each year which includes but is not limited to;
- Strength training 2/3 times per week
- Cardiovascular training 3/4 times per week
- Club training/competitions
- Ball management work 20 minute sessions, 4 times per week
- Squad training sessions, estimated at two weekends per month
- Be pro-active in your development as a performance netball athlete
- Take up opportunity if selected to work alongside national squad
- Attend Internationals held throughout the UK
- Obverse/Analyse footage of elite netballers worldwide
IMPORTANT DATES: U21 Netball Europe: 5th – 7th October 2018